Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A day at the Hospital


My name is Jeffrey Eck, MD. I am a family practice Doctor in Elkhart and my family has the privilege of joining Bruno and Lisa DeJesus on mission this week in the city of Puerto Cabeza, Nicaragua . Today I spent 5 hours working in the local hospital's emergency room treating walk in patients. This is a local teaching hospital staffed with physicians, nurses, interns and students. They treat the population and surrounding area where patients sometimes have to travel by canoe or walking for several days to reach the doctor. I felt the staff was proud of what they have and do for the population and rightly so. They showed genuine compassion and professionalism.  I cannot however write here all that I have seen today without being disrespectful.  But to say I am grateful and proud of the medicine I am able to render back in Elkhart is an understatement. I saw the same type of patient's problems that we have at home but was handicapped in ordering what i would consider standard treatment, tests and medications. This week mine and my families eyes are being opened in what we are seeing in the orphanage, the population and the hospital. We are blessed in many ways and this trip is one of them. 

- Jeff Eck
Never Give UP, Never Surrender

No comments:

Post a Comment